This instant hot cocoa mix is rich and creamy with a heaping helping of malted milk powder. Chopped malted milk balls melt as you stir this hand-warming drink, which adds even more malt flavor! Just add hot water for instant gratification.
This has been my favorite warm beverage for the past two months. I’ve made instant hot cocoa before, but this malted milk version is my favorite of them all. It’s made with both dry nonfat milk powder and malted milk powder, which, with all its other awesome ingredients, stirs up with just hot water and makes a very creamy cup of cocoa.
It’s too good not to share, so dig out your mason jars or upcycled jam jars! This recipe makes plenty to pass around.
The most work you’ll do is gathering the ingredients and chopping the malted milk balls. It’s an easy-peasy homespun gift, and with more cold weather on the way, I’m sure it will be much appreciated by any deserving person on your gift list.
A few marshmallows on top is always a good idea!
A jar of this mix looks extra-sweet with a mini whisk tied to its lid (you can find them here) and it’s super efficient at stirring up single servings.
Instant Malted Milk Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups 227g confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup 85g unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup 120g nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups 135g malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 oz. chocolate-covered malted milk balls chopped
- Sift the first six ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a large air-tight container or hermetic jar; top with chopped malted milk balls. Alternatively, divide the dry mix between 8 oz. jars and top each with some of the chopped malted milk balls. Lid and tie on a tag with mixing instructions.
- Mixing instructions: Place 4 tablespoons of mix with some of the chopped milk balls in the bottom of an 11 oz. mug. Pour in 1 cup of boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Stored air-tight at room temperature, this mix will keep for 6 months.