Pecans, caramel and chocolate all come together to make this craveable, chewy candy. The recipe can easily be doubled to give to friends and family during the holidays.
This candy is so tasty to have so few ingredients. It’s like the best version of chocolate turtle candies, especially if you sprinkle them with coarse sel gris. This minerally salt really makes the flavors zing!
If you’re an avid baker, you may already have everything you need on hand start this recipe! Easy does it with just three-ish ingredients: candy caramels, pecans, chocolate.
Melted caramel and pecans are stirred together and then quickly portioned onto a baking sheet. These candies are rustic, so don’t worry about trying to get them perfect. Aim to portion them in similar-sized mounds, but don’t worry if some are larger than others.
After the caramel firms, the pieces get dunked in shiny melted chocolate.
Coarse grey sea salt isn’t as salty as regular salt because it has other trace elements in it. Sprinkle a pinch over each candy.
This is an old-school recipe that has been handed down for decades (my recipe card has 1968 typed on the corner!), and it remains popular for good reason. It’s so darn easy to make and tastes like a candy bar. The sea salt is optional, but really adds a gourmet touch. Recommend!
Millionaire Candy with Sel Gris
- 1 lb. Kraft candy caramels wrappers removed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups whole pecans
- 24 oz. semisweet chocolate or chocolate almond bark, chopped
- Sel gris grey sea salt
- Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and cream together. Heat in 40 second increments at 100% power until the caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth. (You may also do this on the stove-top over medium-low heat.)
- Add the pecans and mix together. Working quickly, portion the caramel mixture onto the prepared pans. Chill the candies until they are set, about 2 hours or overnight.
- Place the chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl and heat at 100% power in 30 second increments; stir between heating until smooth. Dip set caramel candies in the chocolate and return to the parchment. Sprinkle a pinch of sel gris over each candy and let stand until set, about 20 minutes (or chill until set).
- Store candies in an airtight container.