Soft and chewy Birthday Cake Sugar Cookies will bring lots of fun and sweetness to any celebration. They’re simple to make with all the flavor of classic yellow birthday cake!
Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve posted here and that’s because I’ve been on a special project with my friends at Food Network. More on that soon, but right now I’d like to share an easy and fun little cookie recipe that I can’t stop eating! These Birthday Cake Sugar Cookies are rich and buttery with an extra dose of vanilla and plenty of happy confetti sprinkles.
The scratch-made dough is quick to whip up, and has a small measure of prepackaged dry cake mix in the batter for that unmistakable birthday cake flavor. The prepared dough is not sticky, and can easily be portioned with a small cookie scoop (I use a tablespoon-size scoop) and then rolled in a ball between your palms.
I lightly dipped the tops of each dough ball in confetti sprinkles, and as the cookies bake the sprinkles spread out and decorate the tops of the cookies. This step is optional but gives a pretty, bakery-made end result.
I confess, I’m completely obsessed with birthday-themed sweets this year because Sprinkle Bakes turns 10 years old in September! I’ve already been planning a special celebration, and testing all kinds of sprinkled sweets recipes. I can’t wait!
If you’re in need of an easy stand-in for birthday cake, then these cookies could be just the ticket! And because these are so easy to make and the recipe yields about 30 happy-looking cookies, I could see these being a big hit at bake sales.
These cookies can also be sandwiched with a batch of American Buttercream for a sweeter take on Birthday Cake Cookies!
Birthday Cake Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles
- 2 cups 240g all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons prepackaged dry yellow cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup 130g powdered sugar
- 1 cup 226g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup 135g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pastel confetti sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, salt, baking soda and powdered sugar.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and granulated sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup of confetti sprinkles.
- Use a tablespoon or a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to portion dough into approximately 30 balls, placing each one on the prepared parchment-lined pans. Roll each ball between your palms to make them uniform. Dip the tops of each ball into confetti sprinkles, if desired. Return to prepared parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 11 minutes, or until the cookies begin to brown on the bottoms. Allow cookies to cool on the pans until firm enough to transfer to a wire rack.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before serving.