Satisfy all your cravings with these salty-sweet, crunchy and chewy snack bars.
Say hello to my new favorite midnight snack!
I can’t help but feel that these bars should have been in my salty-sweet baking book. But that’s how it goes – some recipes are simply a result of a strong craving and that’s exactly how this recipe came to be. A few nights ago I was craving salty-sweet, crunchy and chewy.
I printed my favorite Rice Krispie Treats recipe and began scribbling changes in red ink, school-teacher style. I replaced the cereal with a bag of broken pretzels and added half a cup of peanut butter to the marshmallow coating. The second layer is a mixture of chocolate chips and smooth peanut butter with marshmallows folded in.
I made these from start to finish in a big bowl the microwave, but a large saucepan on the stove top will work just as well. If you’re a salty-sweet-snacky fiend like I am then I insist you try these! They will satisfy every craving.
Salty Peanut Butter- Marshmallow Pretzel Treats
Pretzel treat layer
- 1/4 cup 60g unsalted butter, cubed
- 16 ounce bag marshmallows
- 1/2 cup 135g smooth peanut butter
- 16 ounce bag large pretzel twists roughly broken
- 12 ounces 1 package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup 270g smooth peanut butter
- 4 cups 6 ounces mini marshmallows
- Mini pretzel twists optional
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with baking spray.
- Place the broken pretzels in a large bowl.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the marshmallows and cubed butter. Heat at 100% power at 30 second intervals until the marshmallows and butter can be stirred smooth. Stir well after each heating (alternatively, heat the marshmallows and butter in a large non-stick saucepan on the stove top). Add the smooth peanut butter and stir well until the peanut butter is melted and well incorporated into the marshmallow mixture. Pour the mixture over the pretzels and turn them over with a large wooden spoon until most all of the pretzel pieces are coated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and pack down with buttered hands.
- Make the chocolate-marshmallow layer: Combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a large microwave safe bowl Heat at 30 second intervals at 100% power, stirring between heating, until the mixture is smooth and combined (you may also heat the chocolate and peanut butter in a saucepan on the stove top over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until smooth).
- Fold in the marshmallows using a large rubber spatula. Pour on top of the pretzel mixture in the pan and smooth evenly.
- Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Cut into squares. Top each square with a mini pretzel twist, if using.
- Store between sheets of waxed paper or parchment (the bottoms of the bars are sticky).