I hadn’t planned a blog post for today but this smart little recipe convinced me to go ahead and share. I’ve been on a major smoothie kick for the last few months. My steadfast favorite is bright green because I load it with leafy greens that I don’t get enough of with regular eating. Even though I love my green smoothie I sometimes need a break from it and that’s how I discovered this drink. It’s from one of my favorite out-of-print books called The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook. It’s light and healthful with flavor reminiscent of orange Creamsicle ice cream.
This year I’m trying to make good choices and add brain-boosting nutrition to my diet, and this little treat fits the bill at about 90 calories. Its creaminess comes from silken tofu, so those with dairy restrictions can drink up!
This ‘Frothy’ is not as thick as the usual smoothie, but I like that it gives me energy without weighing me down. I recommend using freshly squeezed orange juice in this recipe, if at all possible. I used beautiful Cara-Cara oranges which are in season and best of all – seedless!
Orange Dreamsicle Frothy
- 1 1/2 cups 360 ml orange juice, chilled
- 1 cup 240 ml light unsweet vanilla soy milk (or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup 90g silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon dark honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 ice cubes
- 4 orange wheels
- In a blender, combine the orange juice, milk, tofu, honey, orange zest vanilla and ice cubes. Blend until smooth and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Pour into four 8 ounce chilled glasses and garnish each glass with an orange wheel.