I’m not sure if this recipe falls in the category of cookie or candy because it’s a little of both. It’s similar to ‘Christmas Crack, which I’m sure you’ve seen because it is omnipresent on social media and all corners of the blogosphere. Unlike that version which is made with saltines, this one is made with graham crackers which gives the candy a little more sweetness. It lives up to its name – quick – with just 8 minutes of bake time in the oven.
You’ll use 10 graham cracker sheets (1 sheet = 4 crackers each) to line a 13×9 jelly roll pan.
Butter and brown sugar are combined in a saucepan and then cooked until bubbling on the stove top. Once the mixture is cooked and smooth it is poured over the crackers. Use a rubber spatula to help spread the caramel all over the surface. Top with chopped pecans and two pinches of salt.
After a quick bake, the crackers are transformed into something akin to a pecan praline. It’s part cookie, part candy and 100% addictive!
I’ve stocked up on graham crackers because I’ve decided that this treat will be the one that everyone gets in their stockings. It’s so buttery and delicious. I hope you’ll try it.
The recipe is not much work with big payoff!
Want more giftable goodies?
Last year’s twenty-second day advent recipe was
Quick Praline Bars
- 40 graham crackers which equals 10 graham cracker sheets
- 1/2 cup 105g brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup 113g unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup 85g chopped pecans
- 2 pinches of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in an ungreased 9×13-inch jelly roll pan.
- Heat brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling; boil one minute while stirring. Remove the pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Immediately pour the mixture over the graham crackers. Use a rubber spatula to quickly spread the mixture over all the crackers until completely coated. Sprinkle the pecans over the crackers.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with pinches of salt. Let cool in the pan. Break the bars into pieces and package in an airtight tin or in cellophane bags.
Yum! Those look delicious!
Hi, where in the recipe do you sprinkle with pecans? Before you put them in the oven (which seems logical), or after you take them out? I'm trying this recipe tonight – I guess I'll find out!
Uh oh! I accidentally left that part out. YES! It's after you top the crackers with the brown sugar mixture and before you put them in the oven. I'm correcting the recipe now. Thanks for the heads up!