Indulge in the perfect blend of creamy mint-infused buttercream and rich chocolate with this recipe for Mint Buttercream Truffles. These bite-sized treasures capture the essence of the holiday season in every bite.
These pastel peppermint truffles will add festive color and flavor to your holiday candy tray, and as far as candy-making goes they are some of the easiest! The minty centers are made with the usual buttercream frosting ingredients – butter and powdered sugar – but a helping of cream cheese gives the truffles a delectable tang.
There’s something incredibly satisfying about taking simple ingredients and transforming them into bite-sized delights. And this recipe is one of my all-time favorites. These delectable delights have become a cherished tradition in our family, making every Christmas a bit sweeter and more memorable.
Mix up the buttercream filling.
Mixing up the candy dough is a no-bake, no-cook affair. Just add the ingredients to a mixer bowl and beat until combined. You’ll want to add additional powdered sugar a little at a time until the dough is easy to handle and not sticky, then cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate if for a short time.
Cover in chocolate.
Scoop the candy mixture into level tablespoons and roll them into balls between your palms. These little bites are potent, so you could make them smaller if you wish. I dipped the centers about 3/4 of the way up using skewers – like peanut butter buckeyes, but more colorful! I also decided to leave the party forks in for easy pick-up.
These Mint Buttercream Truffles are so lovely to serve at holiday gatherings and cocktail parties. I think they taste like a grasshopper cocktail! Or, place a few truffles in a clear cellophane bag and tie with festive ribbon for an instant stocking stuffer!
Want more giftable goodies?
Last year’s second day advent recipe was
Mint Buttercream Truffles
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- Green food color
- 4 cups powdered sugar, plus more
- 2 cups package semi-sweet chocolate chips 12 oz.
- Combine butter and cream cheese in bowl. Beat at medium speed until well-combined. Scrape down the bowl and mix again. Add mint extract and 2-4 drops of green food color; beat again at medium speed until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar a little at a time until the mixture is no longer sticky.
- Shape level tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls between palms. Place onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover loosely; refrigerate 2 hours or overnight until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, 3-4 minutes or until smooth. You may also heat at 30 second intervals in the microwave until melted. Dip buttercreams into chocolate using small wooden picks and remove; let excess chocolate drip off. Place onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to set.
- Place candies in mini cupcake papers and gift them in pretty candy tins, or bag a few in cellophane for stocking stuffers.