October is Fair Trade Month, and if you’ve been reading this blog for very long, then you know each year I join the efforts of Fair Trade USA to help promote this worthwhile cause. Buying Fair Trade means you’re getting high quality products and the people who grow, sew and craft them get fair compensation for their hard work.
I used Fair Trade coconut flour for these donuts. I tossed around several ideas before deciding on mini baked donuts. The baked donuts are cakey with mild coconut flavor. I used moscovado sugar and mini chocolate chips in the batter which gave the donuts a chocolate chip cookie flavor. I had inhaled three-ish right from the oven, but since they are ‘mini’ that only equals one regular donut. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway!
I prefer an assortment of donut toppings, so after the donuts were dipped in chocolate glaze I sprinkled 1/3 of the batch with white nonpareils, another 1/3 with cacao nibs (mmm my fave!) and the remaining donuts were drizzled with white chocolate.
These little doughnuts taste indulgent even though they are baked and not fried. The coconut flour is a delicious, healthful alternative to wheat and other grain flours. I love that it’s high in fiber and relatively low in carbs. If you have gluten intolerance, be sure to use chocolate chips that are gluten-free such asSunspire.
One more thing – the participating Fair Trade Month bloggers are having a friendly pinning competition. Check out our Pinterest Board to find new delicious recipes, and pin your favorites!
Chocolate-Glazed Coconut Flour Doughnuts (GF)
- 1/2 cup 50g Arrowhead Mills coconut flour
- 1/4 cup 55g moscovado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup 56g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Or Spectrum coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup 60g gluten free mini chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons gluten free dark cocoa powder
- Milk or cream
- Sprinkles cacao nibs, or other desired toppings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat the cavities of a mini donut pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the coconut flour, muscovado, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk to incorporate. Whisk in the eggs and melted butter. Fold in the mini chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to a piping bag with a 1/2-inch opening. Pipe the batter 3/4 full into the donut cavities. Bake the donuts for 7-10 minutes, or until puffed and fragrant. Turn the donuts out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Wash the donut pan and re-grease; repeat process until all of the batter is used.
- When donuts are cool, prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Whisk in milk or cream a little at a time until a thick, glossy glaze is achieved. Dip the tops of each donut into the glaze and let stand 2 minutes; add sprinkles, cacao nibs and or other toppings.
- Let donuts stand until completely set, about 1 hour. Share with friends.
- Store the donuts in an airtight container.
Special thanks to the Fair Trade Certified companies that made this giveaway possible! Please visit their websites for more product info: