Much as I love involved, intricate cake decorating and classical pastry with lots of elements (and you know I do), there are times when I just want a delicious sweet bite without a lot of work involved. I concoct desserts like this on the fly, usually about an hour before I cook dinner, with whatever ingredients I have on hand.
I’ve decided to start a new series on this blog called ‘Five or Fewer’. These recipes will contain limited ingredients (five or less, of course) and they won’t have you monitoring a candy thermometer or stressing over correctly tempering crème anglaise.
These peanut butter pie cups are my first in this series. They are rich and decadent and the Oreos provide a nice crunchy contrast to the smooth filling.
Want to give it a whirl? Here are your five ingredients: cream cheese, creamy peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, and Oreo ‘Double Stuf’ cookies. That’s it!
Crushed ‘Double Stuf’ cookies will give you a nice crust at the bottom of the cup because the crème filling makes the cookie crumbs cling together. One Oreo on top makes the dessert look pretty – and makes a nice spoon too (guilty!).
This is a good dessert for those weeknights when you need to decompress, perhaps after you’ve eaten dinner on a TV tray while watching The X-Files (or other) reruns. Haven’t we all been there?
Oreo Peanut Butter Pie Cups
- 12 Oreo ‘Double Stuf’ cookies divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy-style peanut butter
- 7 ounces 1/2 can plus one tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- Place 8 cookies in a zip-top bag and crush them to fine crumbs with a rolling pin; divide crumbs between four 7.5 ounce dessert cups, about 3 tablespoons per cup.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk and beat again. Fold in half of the whipped cream. Spoon or pipe the mixture over the cookie crumbs in the dessert cups.
- Fold in the remaining 1 tablespoon condensed milk with the whipped cream. Spoon or pipe the cream over the filling in each cup. Garnish each cup with 1 whole chocolate sandwich cookie.