My husband is particular about his daily brew, so he buys coffee beans freshly roasted and occasionally we have a handful left over – not enough for a cup, but too many to toss. I decided to save up these leftover beans for a baking project. I’m definitely a sucker for coffee and chocolate together, and that’s how this recipe came to be.
Hello Peppermint Mocha Bark! This stuff is so addictive. It’s a crunchy treat with whole coffee beans, crushed peppermint candy and cacao nibs. I couldn’t stop eating it. Did I mention it’s easy to make? Yikes.
Last year I splurged on a coffee bean impression mat from PastryChef Central. I LOVE this thing. It’s so fun and I ended up using it to make some Fair Trade coffee bark for the art showI participated in last June. You don’t need an impression mat to make this bark (just spread the chocolate on a baking sheet instead), but it might be a fun gift idea for someone who loves pretty sweets. And coffee!
If you love chocolate covered coffee beans then you will love this bark, but if you find them too aggressive, then opt for a light sprinkling of espresso powder instead. You can find espresso powder online and in kitchen specialty shops. Cacao nibs are available at most grocery stores nowadays, but you can certainly find them online, too.
Peppermint Mocha Bark
- 1 lb. semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- 1/3 cup whole coffee beans
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Place the chopped chocolate in a saucepan. Place the saucepan over low heat and melt the chocolate, stirring until it is completely smooth – or – place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals (100% power) until it can be stirred smooth.
- Pour the chocolate onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper and spread to 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle the candy, coffee beans, and cacao nibs over the chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces.
- Package in cellophane bags tied with ribbon for gift giving.