Before I get to the details of this cool minty mousse cake, I’d like to introduce you to someone.
This is my friend, Morgan. She’s pretty much my favorite photographer in all the land.
She makes me look cute in pictures.
Trust me -I don’t always look cute in pictures.
I recently asked her if she’d be interested in helping me put together a book trailer. Now, this was no small request and I was afraid she’s say no, but she didn’t! One Saturday last month, she drove from her home in Alabama to my home in Tennessee and we got started.
It’s definitely not the expected book trailer, which is usually presented in an earnest tone and with mentions of accolades -and there’s nothing wrong with that! In fact, that’s what we had in mind at first, but my editor (the best editor in all the land, ahem…) asked, “where’s the fun?”
(Email subscribers may need to visit SB to view)
Very lighthearted, very SprinkleBakes. – thank you Morgan!
Morgan is a mint-and-chocolate fanatic, and I felt it only fitting to make something she’d love for this post. Dark chocolate joconde sponge cake is filled to the brim with mint-white chocolate mousse; a true mint-lover’s nirvana!
At the last minute, I decided to use a chocolate transfer sheet that had been languishing in my pantry for months. I should have used it earlier, as the pattern was a little unstable, but I still really love the results.
Looking for chocolate transfer sheets? You can find them here. The striped chocolate cigarettes are made by Dobla, and I found them at World Market.
If you need some how-to’s on putting this cake together, see my Crown Jewel Cake tutorial on how to line the pan with joconde. Also see my Chocolate-Honey Cake for tips on applying the chocolate transfer sheet.
Mint-White Chocolate Mousse Cake
Make the Joconde sheet cake
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar sifted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder unsweet
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
Make the white chocolate mint mousse
- 1/4 oz. package of powdered gelatin about 2 tsp.
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk hot – (put in the microwave for 30+ seconds)
- 8 oz. high quality white chocolate chopped (I used Ghirardelli white chips)
- ½-1 tsp mint extract add to taste
- Few drops of green food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream.
- ½ cup white chocolate
- 1 chocolate transfer sheet your choice of pattern
- 1 cup prepared whipped cream
- Chocolate cigarettes curls or shavings
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Line an 11.5 x 17-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the almond flour, confectioners’ sugar, all-purpose flour, whole eggs, and egg yolk until combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric hand mixer. When the egg whites are foamy, gradually add the superfine sugar until a white, shiny meringue forms.
- With a large rubber spatula, gently fold the meringue into the almond-flour mixture.
- Add the melted butter and gently fold again, being careful not to deflate the batter.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Invert the cake onto a sheet of parchment and carefully peel away the parchment paper. Trim the edges of the cake with a serrated knife. Set aside.
- Have ready a 7” springform pan. Trim edges and cut one long piece of joconde big enough to fit around the inside of the 7″ springform pan. You may have to piece together with a small portion of cake to line the entire circumference of the pan.
- Using the bottom of your pan as a guide, cut a circle of cake from the joconde and press it into the bottom of the pan evenly (you may need to trim the circle slightly for it to fit perfectly). Set joconde-lined pan aside.
- Place 2 tbsp water in a medium saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over water. Let stand for 1 minute. Whisk in egg yolks and sugar; mix well. Stir in hot milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened considerably 7-10 minutes. When done, it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in melted chocolate and blend with a whisk until chocolate has melted and even in color (no streaks!). Let cool.
- When mixture has cooled somewhat, stir in mint extract and green food coloring.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into the cooled chocolate-mint mixture until well blended.
- Pour as much of the mousse as possible into the joconde lined pan; smooth the top. (you will have a little mousse and joconde cake left over. I suggest making a single-serving trifle).
- Place mousse cake into the freezer for 2-3 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer and remove cake from springform pan. Measure side of joconde cake and cut the chocolate transfer sheet to size. Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth. Let chocolate cool slightly, then spread onto the chocolate transfer sheet with an offset spatula in one or two even strokes. Allow chocolate to harden then peel away the acetate, revealing the patterned chocolate.
- Pipe whipped cream in a florettes in the middle of the cake (I used Wilton #133 tip). Decorate with chocolate cigarettes, curls or shavings.
- Serve frozen or allow cake to thaw in the refrigerator and serve cold. Keep uneaten portion wrapped in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
How cute is this cake! xo
A gorgeous cake! So pretty.
The video is awesome and both you and your dog look cute.
Aww Heather!! That video is absolutely adorable! Love Biscuit's cake. I can not wait for your book to come out. I'm so excited!! Also, love this mousse cake….could you be any more creative?! Love it!
That is adorable. Super super cute.
And the cake looks amazing, as usual!
That's cute, your friend match the cake ;D
Heather, your site makes me happy. It is my favorite. Your desserts truly are little works of art. Thank you for the joy you bring.
amazing! this cakes is so pretty!
Whoa, I'm in love with this cake! I'm a mint chocolate fanatic, and I love the height of it–I want to dive right in, literally. And, Heather, what an awesome book trailer! SO you is right. I'm so excited for you, and I'm so excited for me, because I can't wait to read it! xo
The cake looks fabulous and so do you.
Cute trailer – I'l have the ba doom doo doo dee doom dee doom music in my head for a while;)
OMG how cute!! I absolutely adore your book trailer! 🙂 And, I'm in love with this cake! Mint chocolate is my favorite! SO excited for your book to come out… yay!!!
This looks so tasty and, jeez louize, Biscuit! Such a star! I love the book trailer so much. I hope you book tour to the Michigan area! <3
You just blow me away…first you compile the perfect recipe and then it turns out looking gorgeous and cuts into perfect little triangles. So talented! I love the book trailer and always enjoy seeing your photographs.
What a delicious cake and congratulations on your book! 😀
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trailer! HOw stinking adorable is Biscuit! Can't wait to get your book!!
Love the trailer, it's so cute! Cake recipe also looks delicious. Where did you buy the chocolate straws? What a great decoration!
Love the trailer and you are gorgeous, Heather! Congrats, again, on your book coming to life…this has got to be so exciting for you!
Oh Sprinkles! Oh, Biscuist! A-dorable. Trying to figure out how you ommited the 'person' in the shots. Showing this to the family…
I love it! I especially love how you go out your front door and end up on your mom's front porch!!!! Biscuit is just too, too creative. Love you!
OMG…adoro sus pasteles y tortas como siempre espectaculares ,una gran decoración me encanta,abrazos, hugs,hugs.
SO EXCITING!!! This cake is gorgeous. The video is beyond fun! The anticipating I am feeling for your book is off the charts! (can only imagine how you feel!) Yay yay yay! Cant wait to stand in an endless line to get mine signed!!! 🙂
It's my front porch Susan. And if you think it's my mom's front porch, then obviously I'm doing something right! She keeps hers immaculate – mine? Not so much.
Wow, this cake just looks so delicious – such great flavors, and such a dramatic color! Yum!
what a great photo of you.
your hair looks FAB!
who did your hair? can they do mine? i have a lot!
look out sports illustrated!
(doesn't it feel good to be able to put "my book" at the top of you webpage?)
OK first of all your beautiful friend morgan makes you look cute because you ARE SO STINKING CUTE anyway 🙂 and the video is so fun!
That was by far the cutest video EVER! Biscuit is a star! 🙂
Aw love the Biscuit video!!
What a great video! Biscuit is too cute 🙂 Also, love your purple and orange dress!
That was the cutest video ever! And wow Heather, your hair is gorgeous! Love it! And love this cake 🙂
I teared at how adorable it was, beautiful trailer! So cute!
omg the video is FANtastic! So creatine. Totally cracked up at Biscuit turning the book pages. I love mint and want to dive into that gorgeous creamy green heaven. Yum!
I am BEYOND in love with the book trailer. It captures you so PERFECTLY, my sweet friend. I cannot WAIT to get your book…it will be treasured until the end of time!!!!!!!!!
Oh….goodness gracious. this cake looks absolutely AMAZING. AH-MA-ZING!! gorgeous, gorgeous, & YUM. i simply love mint!
Wow this cake is beautiful! It's perfect for Easter!
Omg. This looks absolutely delectable! The color f that mousse is amazing! I love it! And that video- too cute! 🙂
That video was amazing! I can't wait for your book!!
Brilliant!!! I loved the trailer 😉
Yum! Finally someone else who has Morgan as a girls name;)
Love that book trailer! I can't wait to get my copy in May 🙂 It will be worth the wait 🙂
I have never seen anything so sweet in my life. Biscuit must be indeed your biggest fan, mascot, and taste tester. Bravo!
Beautiful cake and adorable trailer! So happy for you, Heather!
As always, your recipes are masterpieces. The trailer is awesome! So well done, so clever, and your pup makes me smile. I cannot wait to buy your book. I have to look and see when it comes out. Congratulations! I know the book will be a hit.
Congratulations Heather on your book. What an adorable idea with the trailer and Biscuit. And the recipe – well, right as I finish up the last of my chocolate mint Girl Scout cookies you come up with the perfect treat to take their place.
WoW! this is fantastic! i'm truly in love the way you make it so tempting 😀 *thumb up*
Love love LOVE this cake – mint chocolate is one of my favourite flavours ever and I love that big chunk of bright green mousse. Fab video too 🙂
This looks so good, lovely and delicious… Congratulations and thanks for another gorgeous recipe!
the cutest book trailer I've seen in a long time!
Love the originality in the book trailer! I hope Biscuit gets to accompany you on any upcoming book tours!
This white chocolate mousse cake…amazing!
Such a beautiful cake. I bet if I tried it would look nothing like that!