Dive into the cozy flavors of fall with this Pumpkin Oatmeal Creme Pie Trifle. It’s here to steal the show at your Thanksgiving feast or any autumn gathering.
We all know and love those iconic Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. They’re nostalgic, chewy, and have that perfect hint of molasses. I’ve always thought they’d be delicious paired with pumpkin for a fall dessert. Inspiration struck when I found myself with a big box of them leftover from my Dad’s 80th birthday party. They are his favorite snack, so we gave them out to guests as favors.
Enter the Pumpkin Oatmeal Creme Pie Trifle. It’s a heavenly concoction that combines the beloved Oatmeal Creme Pies with pumpkin cream cheese filling, whipped cream, and caramel.
Make the pumpkin cream cheese filling.
In a mixing bowl, combine canned pumpkin puree, room temperature cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix it until it’s well combined and velvety smooth.
The star of the show – Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies!
Using a large sharp chef’s knife, quarter the Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. Half of them will be placed at the bottom of a trifle bowl. This forms the foundation on which to build the whole shebang. I wondered how well the pies would stand up with so many creamy elements layered on top – but they held their shape and provided a nice, chewy/cakey bite. They are just perfect in this trifle!
After you’ve quartered the pies, whip 1 cup of heavy cream to stiff peaks. To shortcut this recipe, you could use an 8 oz. tub of frozen whipped topping, but the homemade whipped cream really makes a difference in flavor.
Layer the ingredients.
This trifle has 8 layers total. First, layer in half of the Oatmeal Creme Pies, then top with half of the pumpkin cream cheese filling. Next, top with half of the whipped cream and spread to the edges. Then, a layer of prepared caramel goes on top. Lately I’ve been loving Torani prepared caramel which can be found in the coffee aisle at the grocery store with the flavored syrups. It’s surprisingly good for something store-bought! However, you could also use Smucker’s hot caramel topping, which is widely available and found with the ice cream toppings (just microwave it for 30 seconds so it loosens). Or, use homemade if you have it.
Repeat the layers – oatmeal pies, pumpkin cream cheese, whipped cream, and…
.. more caramel! The best part about this Pumpkin Oatmeal Creme Pie Trifle is that it’s incredibly easy to make and assemble. You don’t need to be a baking expert to whip up this fall masterpiece.
Finish with flair.
Crumble one Oatmeal Creme Pie and sprinkle it over the whipped cream and caramel. Make sure you don’t crumble it too fine – you want a few larger pieces that are identifiable as Oatmeal Creme Pies.
This trifle takes a nostalgic childhood treat to a whole new level. It’s like a taste of fall in every spoonful, with the warm and comforting flavors of pumpkin spice and oats. What’s better? You can make it a couple of days ahead!
Pumpkin Oatmeal Creme Pie Trifle is the perfect alternative to traditional pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. It’s easy to assemble, looks stunning in a trifle bowl, and the flavors are (*chef’s kiss*) an autumnal dream come true.
Related recipe: Sour Cream Pumpkin Muffins with Coffee Glaze
Pumpkin Oatmeal Creme Pie Trifle
- Trifle bowl
- Hand mixer
- 16 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree 1 can
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 Little Debbie Oatmeal Crème pies 1 box
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream beaten to stiff peaks
- 1 cup prepared caramel sauce such as Torani
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. Beat well until combined and no streaks of cream cheese remain. Set aside.
- Set one oatmeal pie aside for later use. Using a large chef’s knife, quarter the remaining pies. Layer half of the pies into the bottom of a 3 to 4 quart capacity trifle bowl.
- Top the pie pieces with half of the pumpkin cream cheese mixture. Spread to the edges of the bowl.
- Top the pumpkin mixture with half of the whipped cream. Spread evenly to the edges of the bowl.
- Spoon or drizzle half of the caramel over the top of the whipped cream layer.
- Repeat the layering with the remaining pie pieces, pumpkin cream cheese mixture, whipped cream, and caramel sauce.
- Crumble/tear apart the remaining Oatmeal Crème Pie and place it on the top center of the trifle.
- The trifle can be served immediately, or you can make it 2 days ahead and store it in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.