Marzipan Mousse is rich and creamy with intense almond flavor. A topping of chopped Sconza Chocolate Candy Cane Almonds is the perfect complement and so season appropriate!
You may remember earlier this year when I partnered with Sconza Chocolates to promote their delicious Lemoncello Chocolate Almonds. I was truly blown away by the quality and flavor of their products. They are all top notch and I am now and forever a fan!
I’m so happy to be partnering with them again for a special holiday offer. Confection Perfection is their holiday gift box all wrapped up in a big red bow! It allows you to mix-and-match five different Sconza candies to tailor the perfect gift.
The box is every bit as lovely as the candy it holds inside (which, by the way, looks as if elves polished each piece to a fine shine!). You can make your selections and order here, and use the discount code SPRINKLES10 for 10% off your order. The last day to order the Holiday Gift Box and receive it in time for Christmas is December 20.
The assortment that I received had the most beautiful red-speckled Chocolate Candy Cane Almonds inside. I was inspired to make something original and intensely almond to go with them – this marzipan mousse!
About this Recipe
The recipe begins with the usual mousse ingredients and a sizable chunk of marzipan gives it big almond flavor. Everything gets cooked up and whipped to a luxuriously thick, creamy consistency.
If you’re entertaining this season, then this would be such an easy, elegant dessert to make. It’s so easy to fix ahead. Pipe the mousse into stemware or little footed dessert cups and refrigerate until serving time.
A rough chop under a chef’s knife revealed a layer of dark chocolate inside the almonds, which made such a pretty and tasty topping!
Leftover marzipan can be tinted with brown gel food color and cut into mini gingerbread men shapes (I used the smallest cutter in this set). The eyes and buttons are white nonpareils. Pretty cute, right?
What a treat this was! I enjoyed using the Sconza Candy Cane Almonds as an ingredient in this recipe, but they are a pleasure all on their own. If you’re ordering the Holiday Box, I highly recommend the Lemoncello Almonds, and the Chocolate Coconut Cashews are an absolute must!
This original recipe and blog post is sponsored by Sconza Chocolates. I only recommend products and services that I’ve had the chance to use personally and feel will be beneficial to the readers of Sprinkle Bakes.
Marzipan Mousse with Candy Cane Almonds
- 1/4 ounce package powdered gelatin about 2 tsp.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk cold
- 1/3 cup marzipan packed, about 110g
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup 100g sugar
- 8 oz. high quality white chocolate disks or finely chopped bars
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups freshly whipped cream
- 4.5 oz. package Sconza Chocolate Candy Cane Almonds roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup mixed white sprinkles with gold dragees
- Marzipan cut-outs optional (see blog post)
- Place the 2 tablespoons cold almond milk in a medium saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over the milk. Let stand for 1 minute. Whisk in egg yolks and sugar; mix well.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, place the remaining 1/2 cup almond milk and crumble in the marzipan. Heat at 30 second intervals, whisking after each heating, until the marzipan is dissolved and only a few granules of almond meal are present (about 1:30 minutes total). Add the hot marzipan mixture to the egg mixture in a thin stream while whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 7-10 minutes. When done, it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the white chocolate and let stand in the hot mixture for 1 minute. Blend with a whisk until the chocolate is melted and even in color (no streaks!). Mix in the almond extract. Let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, whip the 1 1/2 cups heavy cream to soft peaks with an electric mixer.
- When marzipan mixture has cooled, pour it into the whipped cream. Gently fold together until well blended. Spoon or pipe mousse into eight 4 oz. dessert glasses or other stemware.
- For the toppings, transfer whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a large French decorator tip. Pipe swirls of whipped cream on the mousse cups. Top each cup with candy cane almond pieces and sprinkles. Chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, add marzipan cut-outs, if using.