Sweeten the holidays with rich chocolate-hazelnut sandwich cookies. One batch makes plenty to share!
I’m having a chocolate-hazelnut moment, as evidenced by this cheesecake and these ah-maaazing sandwich cookies. There’s something about the flavors that seem so cozy and substantial, and winter is definitely the time to eat something cozy and substantial!
A heaping helping of chocolate-hazelnut spread goes into the cookie dough, and before they are baked, they are rolled in chopped hazelnuts. As the cookies bake, the hazelnuts toast to golden perfection in the oven.
I recommend using a cookie scoop when portioning dough for sandwich cookies, so top and bottom cookies match evenly.
These sandwiches come together quickly, because the filling is simply more chocolate-hazelnut spread. That means no mixing or fixing anything extra!
We enjoyed these best served with a tall glass of ice cold milk (and Santa will, too!).
Hazelnut Truffle Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups 240g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 38g unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 113g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup 130g cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup 105g brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups chocolate-hazelnut spread divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 150g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Combine flour, cocoa powder baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. With the mixer still running, gradually add sugars. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add in 1 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread and vanilla extract; mix until well combined. Turn mixer to low speed and gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture until just combined. Cover mixing bowl with cling wrap refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two or more baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Spread chopped hazelnuts into a shallow bowl or dish. Shape the cookie dough into 2 inch or walnut-sized balls and roll in the chopped nuts. Place 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes; remove from oven and let cool on pans about 5 minutes,. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, spread about a 2-3 teaspoons of the remaining chocolate-hazelnut spread onto the bottom of a cookie, then top with another cookie to form a filled cookie sandwich.
- Store cookie sandwiches in an airtight container.