These red and green-sprinkled cookies look like they came straight from Candy Land, and will add a splash of holiday color to your table!
If you’re looking for a cookie with plenty of eye appeal, then these will be the star of your giveaway cookie trays. Holiday sprinkles practically glow on these dark chocolate morsels!
Dark cocoa powder mixed into luxuriously thick cookie dough makes the baked cookies almost black and deeply chocolaty.
Picking out the sprinkles for decorating these is half of the fun! I love that these can be made year-round, and for any occasion just by switching up the sprinkles. You can also vary the centers with any flavor Hershey’s Kisses or Hugs. I love the way the stripey Hugs look (and taste!).
I know we’ve served up quite a few cookie recipes this season, but there’s always room for one more, right? And especially if they’re as cute and tasty as these are.
Christmas Kiss Cookies
- 1 cup 120 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 60 grams unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 113 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup 130 grams cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 60 grams holiday-themed nonpareils and jimmies
- 25 Hershey’s Hugs or Kisses candies, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line at least two baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. With the mixer still running, gradually add sugar and mix until smooth. Beat in egg yolk, milk or cream and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture until well combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes until it is easy to handle, and less sticky.
- Spread sprinkles into a shallow bowl or dish. Shape dough into portions the size of a small walnut and roll in the sprinkles, them place 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes; remove from oven and let cool on pans about 3 minutes, then lightly press a chocolate kiss candy into the center of each cookie while they are still warm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.