There’s nothing cozier than a steaming cup of hot chai on a cold day. This Instant Chai Latte Mix is a super easy, no-cook, no-bake, holiday gift. Simply mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl and funnel into jars.
Winter temperatures arrived early in my neck of the woods, so most evenings we’ve curled up in front of a fire with our favorite hot beverages. The usual is Earl Grey or hot cider, but this spiced chai has been a welcome departure. It’s creamy and delicately spiced – convenient, too!
The most work you’ll do for this recipe is procuring all the dry ingredients. If you’re an avid baker, you may already have all of the spices on hand.
The base mix consists of powdered coffee creamers and unsweet instant tea. I was a little unsure about how this would taste at first, but was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and creamy it was in a mug of hot milk.
This recipe makes 8 cups of mix, which will yield four 16 oz. jars. Or you could make smaller gifts of eight 8 oz. jars. Tie the jars with festive Christmas ribbon (or pink ribbon, if you’re a pink-for-Christmas person like me) and attach a tag with these instructions: Add 4 tablespoons of chai mix to 10 ounces hot milk.
When the mix is stirred into hot milk, a little layer of foam develops on top. It really is like having a steamed milk latte, without the work of steaming milk!
Instant Chai Latte Mix
- 2 cups 43g unsweet instant tea (such as Lipton)
- 2 cups 400g granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups 277g packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups one 8 oz. container powdered vanilla nondairy creamer
- 1 1/4 cups 130g powdered unsweet, unflavored, nondairy creamer
- 3/4 cup 120g nonfat powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix together well, making sure to break up any clumps of brown sugar (I found using my hands worked best). Turn mixture over several times using a large spatula to make sure all of the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Funnel mixture into four 16 ounce jars, or eight 8 ounce jars. Tie a tag onto each jar with these instructions: Add 4 tablespoons of chai mix to 10 ounces hot milk.
- Store jars in a cool dry place. Mix will keep for 6 months.