Eating affogatos in summertime is just part of living a good life, if you ask me. They require so little work and the end result is a caffeinated, quickly melting cup of ice cream heaven. The dessert in its most basic form is made with only ice cream and a shot of espresso, but toppings are highly encouraged! Try this version with raspberries and pistachios, or use whatever tasty ingredients inhabit your pantry.
You’ll need about three scoops of your favorite ice cream per affogato. You can’t go wrong with vanilla ice cream to give you the distinctive coffee with cream flavor. Here I’ve added a few tablespoons of heavy cream in the bottom of each glass. I really love the added richness and swirly appearance it gives the desserts.
You could grab a spoon and start eating just after the pour of espresso, but who can resist gilding the lily? This version has a drizzle of ganache, chopped Chuao raspberry-rose dark chocolate, pistachios and freeze-dried raspberries.
The raspberries are tart, which is a nice contrast to all the creamy ingredients.
These are the best and easiest endings to a summer dinner party, although we don’t limit them to summer months or dinner parties. They’re an evergreen favorite! An apple pie-spiced version with caramel sauce is something to consider in the coming autumn months.
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 scoops about 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces 2 shots brewed espresso, hot
- 3 tablespoons chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried raspberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- Place two tablespoons of heavy cream in each of two 12-ounce cups. Add three scoops of ice cream in each jar. Pour 1 ounce of espresso over the ice cream in each cup. Quickly drizzle chocolate ganache in each cup, and then top each with pistachios, raspberries and dark chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!