This isn’t your average pecan pie! This corn syrup-free Chocolate Honey Pecan Pie holds rich chocolate, organic honey and touch of espresso powder. Serve slices with dollops of freshly whipped cream.
November is officially pie month at my house which means I’m testing new recipes and putting a fresh spin on old favorites, like pecan pie! It’s always the first to yield an empty pie pan at our Thanksgiving dinner. This version is my favorite so far, and if you’re a pie purist it could be your new favorite, too.
Butter makes it better!
The pie begins with an all butter crust. I understand that many home cooks prefer to add shortening or butter-flavored Crisco to their pie dough for an extra flaky end result, but after trying it for myself I’m not convinced. Butter yields a crust that is plenty flaky enough, and the flavor is beyond compare.
See all those lovely products above? That’s nearly all of the ingredients for our Chocolate Honey Pecan Pie filling – and all Fair Trade certified! Monday begins Fair Trade’s ‘Give Thanks’ campaign, which aims to extend the spirit of gratitude at the heart of Thanksgiving to the people who helped grow our favorite Thanksgiving products. And let me tell ya, I am extra thankful for that honeycomb chocolate bar! (Delish!)
Filling without the funny stuff.
There’s no corn syrup in this recipe, only pure organic honey. Normally I’m wary of using large amounts of honey as an ingredient in desserts because it can be overpowering. In this recipe, a small amount of dark chocolate along with a little espresso powder tempers the honey flavor and transforms it to something new and delicious. These ingredients deepen the flavor of the honey without calling much attention to themselves. It’s nice. I’m excited for you to try it!
I used a Chuao honeycomb chocolate bar in this recipe which has little bits of caramelized honey inside. I highly recommend seeking it out for this recipe, but if you can’t find honeycomb chocolate then regular dark chocolate is A-OK.
We really enjoyed this pie with a huge dollop of whipped cream on top. It adds a creamy note to the pie’s flavor and many textures- crunchy, chewy, gooey. There’s so much to love!
If you love this nutty pie, you may also love my Maple Caramel Walnut Pie, which can be found right here.
Chocolate Honey Pecan Pie
- 9 inch pie plate or 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom
- 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4-5 tablespoons ice cold water
Chocolate-Honey Pecan Pie Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Wholesome! organic honey
- 2/3 cup Wholesome! light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons Frontier organic Ceylon cinnamon
- 2.8 ounce honeycomb chocolate bar, or dark chocolate bar finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups pecan halves
- Whipped cream for serving
- Extra cinnamon for sprinkling
- For the pie crust: Place the flour, salt and cubed butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 3-4 times until the butter is distributed and pea-sized pieces are visible. Pulse while adding the ice cold water through the processor’s feeding tube. The dough should come together with several pulses and form a ball to one side of the bowl.
- Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll the pie crust to 12-inches for a 9-inch pie, or 14 inches for an 11-inch tart pan. Fit the dough inside the pan and turn the overhanging dough under; crimp the edges as desired. Refrigerate the pie crust while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Beat together the eggs, honey, brown sugar, butter, espresso powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl using an electric mixer. Stir in the chopped chocolate and pecans. Place the pie crust-lined pan on a baking sheet and carefully pour the pecan filling on top of the crust. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 45- 50 minutes until the filling is puffed and set. Insert a knife near the center of the pie; it should come out clean when the pie is done.
- Cool the pie in the pan on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream and a pinch of cinnamon on top.