This is a quick candy that uses just three ingredients – pecan halves, prepackaged caramel candies, and bittersweet chocolate. Add a sprinkle of flake sea salt to make them extra crave-worthy.
Hello and welcome to my favorite candy of all time! It’s true. Chocolate turtles have everything I need in life- toasty pecans, chewy caramel and rich chocolate. A sprinkle of sea salt on top makes these turtles absolutely irresistible. They are dangerously simple to make and take about 8 minutes in the oven. This crowd-pleasing treat disappears quickly on a candy tray so two batches may be in order!
This isn’t so much a recipe as it is a smattering of ingredients. Place the pecans in groups of three on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Flatten candy caramels by pinching them between your fingers and place them in the centers of the pecan groups.
Place in a hot oven and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the caramels melt and drape themselves over the toasting pecans.
I love bittersweet chocolate on these turtles because it tastes a little more grown-up, but not everyone is accustomed to such a sharp chocolate. Semi-sweet or even mild milk chocolate are more widely appreciated. A sprinkle of sea salt is optional but totally delicious set against chocolate, toasty pecans and caramel.
I like to put these in gusseted cellophane bags for stocking stuffers, or you can put them in little candy boxesfor a fancier presentation.
Want more giftable goodies?
Last year’s seventh day advent recipe was
Speedy Turtle Candies
- 2 cups 250g pecan halves (about 75 halves)
- 25 individually wrapped candy caramels unwrapped (about 9 ounces)
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate or semisweet
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Flake or coarse sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Place three pecan halves in a Y-shape on the parchment paper. Repeat with remaining pecans. Flatten caramel candies slightly and then place in the center of each pecan bunch. Place in the oven and bake just until caramel is melted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let the candies cool on the pan.
- Combine shortening and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals until completely melted (about 1 minute). Spoon a dollop of chocolate on top of each caramel. Let stand for 2 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Store and serve the candies at room temperature