Consider these the chocolate-hazelnut cousin of bourbon balls. The two candies have similar virtues, such as they are both made with very few ingredients and they both improve upon standing. They make a great holiday gift – and bonus – they ship well! I love sending these to my out-of-state friends because I know they’ll survive the journey and taste even better after two days in transit. This ‘snowball’ version is covered in powdered sugar and I just love the wintry look it gives them.
Chocolate wafers are the main component of these snowballs. You can pulverize them in a food processor, or do as I do and put them in a zip top bag and pound them with a rolling pin.
The crumbs, hazelnuts and powdered sugar get mixed in one bowl, while the hazelnut liqueur, corn syrup and espresso powder are mixed in another bowl.
When the two mixtures are combined, you’ll get a thick, sticky black chocolate dough.
I suggest rolling the mixture by the level tablespoonfuls between your palms for the perfect-sized bite. Intermittently spray your hands with cooking spray and you’ll have an easier time shaping them into balls. The small amount corn syrup in this recipe does a good job of holding the mixture together. If you’re totally against using corn syrup then you could substitute honey or molasses, but it will alter the flavor.
Roll ’em twice in powdered sugar for a snowy appearance.
I’m excited to make another batch of these because I didn’t get enough the first time around! You cannot go wrong with the chocolate-hazelnut flavor combination and the candy’s contrasting textures of crunchy and fudgy makes them irresistible.
Want more giftable goodies?
Last year’s ninth day advent recipe was
- 1/3 cup 80 ml hazelnut liqueur
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 9 ounces 1 package chocolate wafer cookies, finely ground
- 3/4 cup 150g powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3/4 cup 4oz chopped hazelnuts
- Combine the liqueur, corn syrup and coffee granules in a small bowl. Stir together until the coffee granules dissolve. Combine the cookie crumbs, 3/4 cup powdered sugar and hazelnuts; stir. Pour the liqueur mixture into the crumb mixture and stir until all the crumbs are moistened. Shape into 1” balls; roll in powdered sugar and let stand for 10 minutes. Roll a second time in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.