This may be the easiest ice cream cake you will ever make! It takes just four ingredients: ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, sugar cones and chocolate ice cream topping – all other garnishes are open to interpretation. I opted for a dash of confetti sprinkles and peanut butter M&M’s, but really you can’t go wrong with your favorite candy bars or cookies on top.
You’ll need about 10 and 1/2 ice cream sandwiches, so if you pick up a standard box of 12 then you’re all set. Then it’s just a matter of cutting the ice cream sandwiches in half and then lining them up inside a cake pan. I’ve documented the process in a video to show you just how easy it is!
I used an 8-inch round cake pan, but a standard 9-inch pan will also work. The technique for the 9-inch cake is exactly the same but you may need an extra ice cream sandwich to line the cake pan and slightly more ice cream to fill the center.
This cake takes just minutes to assemble. The soft chocolate cookie portion of the ice cream sandwiches does a good job of making this confection truly cake-like. It cuts beautifully too! Just place a large knife between two ice cream sandwiches and slice.
I think this would make a great summer-time birthday cake – just add candles!
Easy Ice Cream Sandwiches Cake
- 2 quarts ice cream I used 1.5 quart of chocolate and 1 pint vanilla
- Box of 12 ice cream sandwiches
- 3 sugar cones
- Chocolate Magic Shell ® ice cream topping
- Sprinkles and candy I used confetti sprinkles and Peanut Butter M&M’s
- Line an 8-inch or 9-inch standard round cake pan with plastic wrap so that the plastic overhangs the edges of the pan. Let the ice cream stand at room temperature until softened.
- Unwrap, and then cut the ice cream sandwiches evenly in half. Place the sandwich pieces cut-side-down around the circumference of the cake pan. Place half of the softened ice cream in a large bowl and stir until thick and pourable like a milkshake (this would be a good time to throw in your favorite add-ins – crushed Oreos, anyone?). Pour the softened ice cream in the center of the cake and immediately transfer to the freezer. Transfer the remaining ice cream back to the freezer also. Allow the cake to chill until frozen solid, about 4 hours or overnight (preferred).
- Remove the cake by pulling the ends of the plastic wrap upward. Lift the cake from the plastic wrap and place on a serving plate. Using an ice cream scoop, top the cake with mounds of the remaining ice cream. Place the sugar cones on top of three of the scoops; cover the ice cream mounds with the chocolate ice cream topping. Add sprinkles and candies and cookies and whatever else tickles your fancy!
- Place the cake in the freezer until ready to serve. To slice this cake, Place a knife between two ice cream sandwiches and cut. I like serving slices that have two ice cream sandwich pieces.