Fresh watermelon cake is made with only three ingredients, and it’s perfect for any summer potluck. It’s gluten-free and low sugar, so it is also great alternative to cake for those with dietary considerations.
I’m not really sure who came up with the idea for this cake, but I love everything about it. I’ve seen a few versions floating around the web and with Memorial Day weekend coming up, I decided it was time to try it for myself.
The best part about the Fresh Watermelon Cake it is that you only need three ingredients to make it (okay, four if I’m being picky). It’s delicious, and even more so now because juicy watermelons are ripe and readily available at the grocery store. It is so easy to make and highly summer cookout appropriate.
The frosting is heavy whipping cream beaten with granulated sugar. I added vanilla bean to the party because I knew it would be delicious. And it is. I’ve seen versions of this using tubs of frozen whipped topping, so you could use that too and make even shorter work of building the cake. I recommend the homemade whipped cream, though. Everything tastes so fresh and lovely.
Carving the ‘cake’.
Cutting the watermelon to shape was easier than I thought. Just cut the top and bottom of the melon off flat, and then carve the rind away. The shape doesn’t have to be anywhere near perfect, just do the best you can. The whipped cream will camouflage an uneven surface.
You can make this cake as large or small as your party dictates (or that the available produce will allow), but you’ll need to adjust your whipped cream topping accordingly. This watermelon was about 7 pounds before carving, and 2 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream covered it well. It’s actually better to have too much whipped cream than too little, since it is instrumental in smoothing an uneven carving job.
If you’re into more traditional cakes, this recipe for Patriotic Petit Fours is quick and easy.
Hope you all have a happy Memorial Day weekend!
PS. The adorable little red bicycle is a cake topper and can be found at Cranky Cakes Shop!
Fresh Watermelon Cake
- 7- 10 pound whole seedless watermelon
- 2 1/2 cups 580g heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 50g sugar
- Seeds from one vanilla bean
- Mint sprigs for garnish optional
- Using a large sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off of the watermelon flat and save the ends for later use. Turn the watermelon upright and carve away the rind in downward strips until all of the green and white pith is removed and you’re left with a red, ripe center. Carve away small pieces from the sides and top until the center is roughly cake-shaped.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed with an electric hand mixer until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, and then the vanilla bean seeds. Beat until the mixture is thick and spreadable, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the watermelon to a cake stand or serving plate and pat the outside with paper towels to remove excess water. Spread the whipped cream over the entire surface of the watermelon. Use a melon baller to cut round pieces of melon from the two reserved ends. Place them on the top center of the cake and garnish with mint sprigs, if using. Store the cake in the refrigerator.