Sweet Potato Pecan Praline Cheesecake Bars

Cheesecake is a dessert that everyone in my family loves. I turn to it for our annual gatherings more than any other sweet, and it never disappoints. This sweet potato version is a new favorite of mine. It’s light and mild with a creamy texture rather than being tangy and dense (I’m looking at you New York cheesecake!).

I whipped up an easy pecan praline sauce to give it added texture and sweetness. In my opinion, the sauce really makes this dessert. The buttery brown sugar flavor contrasts perfectly with the mild sweetness of sweet potato.

Believe it or not, this recipe’s humble genesis was from an old weight loss magazine. I was drawn in by the beautiful pictures, but I cringed reading the ingredients – low-fat/no-fat and Sucralose-laden… yeesh! I threw out the recipe but kept the picture for inspiration. In the end, a delicious dessert was realized: gingersnap crust (the original recipe didn’t even have a crust – seriously?), a sugar-sweetened yammy cream cheese filling, and a brown sugar-pecan topping that underscores all the above.

I have a feeling this recipe will be in heavy rotation for the next couple of weeks. These bars are SO easy to make and quintessentially fall!

Sweet Potato Pecan Praline Cheesecake Bars

[click for printable version]

Yield: 15-20 bars; one 10×10 or 13×9 pan

Source: Sprinkle Bakes original

Prep 25 minutes, 6 hours 25 minutes with chilling

Crust

2 cups/272g gingersnap cookie crumbs

1/2 cup/ 57g unsalted butter, melted

Filling

3 packages/24 oz. cream cheese, softened

3/4/150g cup granulated sugar

15 oz. sweet potato puree (canned, packed sweet potato is fine)

2 tablespoons/16g all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs

Topping

1/2 cup/64g unsalted butter

1/2 cup/110g brown sugar

2 tablespoons milk or cream

1/4 cup chopped pecans

Pinch of sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. Combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Stir until crumbs are evenly moist and covered in butter. Press into the bottom of a lightly buttered 10×10 or 13×9-inch baking dish. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
  3. For the filling, combine the cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat well on medium speed with an electric hand mixer. Add the sweet potato puree, flour and cinnamon; mix well. Add vanilla and eggs and beat on low speed until just combined.  Pour filling over chilled crust.
  4. Bake for 40-45 minutes. When done, the center of the cheesecake will be almost set but still have a slight wobble. Let cheesecake cool in the pan, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill for 6 hours or overnight (preferred). Cut cheesecake into bars, approximately 15-20 pieces.
  5. For the topping, melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. When sugar is almost completely melted whisk in the milk; stir until smooth. Stir in pecans and sea salt. Let cool slightly before pouring over bars. Serve. Store leftovers loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Share:
Notify of
guest
23 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Unknown
Unknown
7 years ago

Oh Heather, you do make my day.

Anonymous
Anonymous
7 years ago

How could you modify this to make in a 10 inch springform pan?

Sarah Endris
Sarah Endris
7 years ago

Do you recommend lining the pan so they are easy to remove and cut into bars? with parchment maybe?

Unknown
Unknown
7 years ago

Love that these are made with sweet potato as opposed to pumpkin!

Heather Baird
Heather Baird
7 years ago

@anonymous – it can be made as directed, except with the crust pressed partially up the sides of the spring form pan. Bake time could be increased to as much as 1 hour. I'd check it at 45 to make sure it's not over-baking (and cracking). @Sarah – If you don't want to serve it directly from the pan (and on a cake stand or platter as I have) I recommend using the 10×10-inch pan and lining it with two sheets of parchment paper that overhang all four sides of the pan. Once refrigerated, it's easy to lift out by… Read more »

Aurora mama de Jordan
Aurora mama de Jordan
7 years ago

Heather, your recipes are always amazing!! and the pictures, wow!! I am so inlove with anything sweet potatoe, and this cheesecake looks wonderful! I live in Mexico, and they don't sell canned, so if I were to make my puree, do you suggest adding sugar or any liquid when pureing? Thanks!!!

Heather Baird
Heather Baird
7 years ago

Thank you @Aurora! In general, I wouldn't suggest adding any sugar or liquid. The puree shouldn't be too thick if you boil the potatoes and then puree them. If you find that your potatoes are very dense and starchy, you could add unsweetened applesauce or a little water to the potatoes 1 tablespoon at a time while blending.

Anonymous
Anonymous
7 years ago

Thank you. I can't wait to make it.This is going to make for a beautiful cheesecake. It just sounds wonderful.

Rosa's Yummy Yums
Rosa's Yummy Yums
7 years ago

Heavenly and wonderfully autumnal!

Cheers,

Rosa

Pigtail Goddess
Pigtail Goddess
7 years ago

Oh holy deliciousness! I think I will need to make these for Thanksgiving!

Tieghan
Tieghan
7 years ago

I am a new cheesecake lover. Meaning I tried some a month ago and fell in love! I am on the look out for any new cheesecake recipes and this on look killer! Plus, it is obviously perfect for Thanksgiving!

Colette (Coco)
Colette (Coco)
7 years ago

I said " Sweet Potato Pecan Praline Cheesecake Bars " out loud at the office and heard ohhhh, ahhhh over the cubicle walks!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
7 years ago

I love these! Such a fabulous flavour!

Liz @ TIp Top Shape
Liz @ TIp Top Shape
7 years ago

Oohh these look fantastic!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com

Perfect for the holidays!! Yum 🙂

Susana
Susana
7 years ago

Mmmmmmmm, que rico! vaya pintaza tan buena!

Nikki G
Nikki G
7 years ago

Heather, we are so on the same page with you. I just baked and mushed a bunch of sweet potatoes and came to the site for your sweet potato whoopee pies, and here you are tempting me with this beauty. Have never had sweet potato cheesecake, and now i am torn. These look very yummy, the only thing that's stopping me right now is that hubby is still finishing your deep-dish pumpkin cheesecake.

Lea
Lea

These look soooooo delicious 🙂

Rachel @ Bakerita
Rachel @ Bakerita
7 years ago

These look phenomenal!! Love the pecan praline topping…yum!

Anonymous
Anonymous
7 years ago

I swear I just come here to drool, love your site

Cher Rockwell
Cher Rockwell
7 years ago

We made these to serve as part of our Thanksgiving dessert buffet. The praline was so good, I had to double the recipe to throw on ice cream.
Thank you!

asha
asha
7 years ago

I usually tinker with recipes, but I did not in this case, with the exception that I did not cut the bars prior to pouring the praline topping. Brought this to a party where it competed with other desserts- over and over again, guests kept coming up to me to tell me that this was amazing. Thanks so much for this perfect recipe!

Baker Chick
Baker Chick
2 years ago

Heather- as always I love your ideas- there is a typo perhaps here??? In the topping ingredients, you call for 1/2 cup unsalted butter, isn't that 113grams (a stick)? 64 grams would be 1/4 cup.