This dish is ready when you are! Layers of potatoes, cheese, eggs, and bacon make this a hearty breakfast. Prepare ahead and refrigerate it overnight for a fuss-free Christmas morning.
Today I’m posting something savory to balance out all the sweet things I’ve been making. I’m a huge fan of breakfast casseroles (see this fave) and I’m always on the lookout for a worthwhile recipe that will make Christmas or New Year’s morning easy.
This cheesy omelet bake scored high marks during recipe testing and ended up being lunch for about 3 days in a row. So, if you’re a breakfast every hour person like I am, you’ll probably love this for any meal. And what’s not to love about bacon, eggs, and cheese that sits atop a layer of hash browns? It’s all good.
I decided to create a breakfast buffet for this post, because these Panettone Muffins are not to be missed! I’ve made them a few holidays in a row, and they are always a crowd-pleaser.
And for something special to sip, I mixed up a batch of Sparkling Pomegranate Punch. Here it’s made just the same as the recipe I’ve linked, except this time I topped it with some pineapple sherbet. Turns out, this was a really good idea.
The omelet bake is already pretty easy to put together, but I have a shortcut to recommend anyway. Pre-cooked bacon will remove the step of cooking raw bacon and it crisps up wonderfully as it bakes on top of this casserole. It requires nothing more than a quick chop.
This will serve 6-8 hungry people, or if your Christmas morning is more intimate, then leftovers keep well and reheat easily in the microwave. It’s great for lunch with an arugula salad on the side, or even a little cup of mandarin orange segments, which I serve with breakfast often.
Triple Cheese Omelet Bake
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup 75 grams chopped onion
- 1/4 cup 40 grams chopped green bell pepper
- 26 oz. 1 large bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups 226 grams shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 slices of bacon cooked
- 8 oz. 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 120 ml milk
- 1/2 cup 56 grams freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Evenly spray the inside of a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook chopped onion and green pepper in the butter, stirring constantly until tender and the onions turn translucent. Set aside.
- Evenly spread the hash browns in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Chop the cooked bacon and sprinkle half of it over the cheese, and top with the cooked vegetable mixture.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until softened. Add eggs and milk; beat until smooth. Scrape down sides and bottom of mixing bowl to make sure ingredients are thoroughly blended. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; beat until just blended. Pour the egg mixture over ingredients in the dish and sprinkle with remaining half of the bacon.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until set and lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes and top with chopped scallions, if using. Serve immediately.