I’ve made this bundt cake countless times, so it’s hard to believe that I’ve never shared it with you before now! The batter molds beautifully in ornate bundt pans and the baked cake is cotton-soft in the middle. Brown sugar and mini chocolate chips sweeten the cake, so it tastes much like a chocolate chip cookie!
The recipe makes one 9 1/2-inch bundt cake, but I doubled the recipe for this ‘double bundt’ version. A standard-shaped bundt pan makes a sturdy base, and Nordic Ware’s Crown Bundt Pan makes a gorgeous second tier.
Seriously. How pretty is it just plain?! It looks elegant enough to serve at a fancy reception but doesn’t take much time to make – and it feeds a crowd! (Hellooo, perfect groom’s cake? I think so!)
Even if you don’t have a reason to make the double bundt, I urge you to try the single version! Sour cream in the batter creates a baked interior that is soft and tender. Milk glaze adds another layer of sweetness, but it’s also lovely with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
If you opt for the two-tier version, then you’ll need to level the bottom of the top tier cake. This will prevent it from wobbling or teetering when you cut it.
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- 3 cups 360g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 cup 226g unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups 320g light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups full fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 8 oz. mini chocolate chips, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup 114g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 10 to 12 cup bundt pan, or spray the pan with flour-based baking spray (such as Baker’s Joy).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; whisk until combined.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix again. Scrape down the bowl as needed and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips. Scrape down the bowl and beat again on low speed. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick tester comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a cake plate or wire cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine the powdered sugar and cream. Mix until a thick glaze is formed. If the mixture is too thick, add cream a little at a time until thick but pourable. Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Wonderful! I love bundt cakes and chocolate chips.
LOVE the double-tier bundt idea!!
This sounds delicious and looks amazing, I've only made a bundt cake once and it was a complete disaster 🙂
Such a great idea! The cake looks so good 🙂