Fall is in full swing here, complete with the yearly sniffles I get when the weather changes. It’s a mild inconvenience considering the months to come of lovely cool temperatures and glorious color. But I still need my creature comforts. Chocolate ganache spiked with bourbon and miles of toasted marshmallow is a cure-all, I tell ya!
There’s a reason for the high ratio of fluffy-toasty marshmallow to the more modest layer of rich, dense chocolate ganache. It strikes a balance! And the graham crust is essential – you can’t have a proper S’mores Pie without graham cracker in the mix, right?
There’s not a lot of time investment in making this pie, but you’ll have to wait around for the chocolate ganache to set. If you’re impatient like me, you can stick it in the freezer to speed things up.
Spiked S’mores Pie
Yield: One 9-inch pie [click for printable recipe]
Feel free to adjust or omit the bourbon in this recipe. It does not greatly change the consistency of the set ganache.
1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
- Whisk together crumbs, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir until mixture resembles wet sand. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan or spring-form pan. Set aside.
2 cups heavy cream
18 oz. semisweet chocolate, evenly chopped into fine pieces (you can also use chips)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. bourbon
- Heat the heavy cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until very hot but not boiling. You may also heat the cream in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave at 1 minute intervals.
- Remove cream from heat source and pour in the chocolate. Let stand for 3 minutes. Whisk until chocolate has melted and mixture is completely smooth. Whisk in bourbon. Pour mixture over the graham cracker crust and refrigerate several hours until set (or store in the freezer for quicker setting time).
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 -7oz. jar of marshmallow creme
2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 chocolate bar for garnish
1 whole graham cracker for garnish
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and salt at high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in 1/4 of the marshmallow creme. Repeat with remaining creme until meringue is well mixed and fluffy. Fold in mini marshmallows with a rubber spatula.
- Heap meringue in the middle of the pie and swirl with the back of a spoon or spatula. Brown with a kitchen torch. You may also brown in the oven on the “broil” setting, but be sure to watch it constantly so the meringue does not burn.
- Keep refrigerated. Garnish with chocolate bar and whole graham cracker. Bring slices to room temperature before serving.