A couple of weeks ago Biscuit the pug woke me up at 4 a.m. so he could go outside and leisurely walk around the yard for an hour. I thought he had business to do but it turns out that he just wanted to PLAY(!). By the time he came back in there was no sense in going back to bed. It was almost time to start typing. I was tired and grumpy and decided muffins would ease the pain.
I picked out a recipe online and preceded to make the worst muffins in the history of ever, which resulted in a full blown pity-party for myself. Where is my go-to muffin recipe for these types of emergencies?! I quickly cobbled together something with streusel. And cream cheese.
Breakfast muffin trifecta:
- The base- coffee batter subtly flavored and studded with mini chocolate chips.
- The middle- cream cheese batter that bakes up slightly sweet and oh-so-fluffy.
- The top- coconut streusel that transforms into sweet, crunchy deliciousness as it bakes.
For those who aren't crazy about coconut, please don't let the streusel give you pause. My husband is not a coconut fan and he could not stop eating these! They were so well loved I made three batches in two days. My definite new go-to muffin!
Coconut Cappuccino Muffins
Yield: about 17 muffins [click for printable version]
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a bowl. Blend using fingers to well incorporate.
- Set aside while you prepare the remaining components.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons instant coffee such as Starbucks VIA (or sub. 1 ½ tbsp. espresso powder)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, combine milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved. Add the butter and egg . Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Set aside and prepare cream cheese filling.
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar and egg on high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy and smooth. Add vanilla and mix. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a plain tip or a zip-top bag with the corner snipped.
- Insert piping bag or corner into the cappuccino batter and pipe until the batter rises and fills the muffin cups two-thirds full. Alternatively, you may also spoon cream cheese mixture over cappuccino batter and swirl with a knife or skewer.
- Generously top with coconut streusel.
- Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until coconut is well toasted. Cover muffins with a piece of aluminum foil to prevent the coconut from over-browning and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Starbucks VIA Ready Brew Coffee, Italian, 3-Count Packets (Pack of 6)
Norpro 12 Cup Nonstick Standard Muffin Pan
Ghirardelli Chocolate Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips, 12 oz.
Bakers Angel Flake Sweetened Coconut 14 oz (Pack of 2)