It's Churro's birthday!
Well, sort of.
We don't really know when his birthday is. And we don't know exactly how old he is either, but we still like to celebrate the day we welcomed him into our family. Churro is a rescue -yes, a pound puppy. His history is somewhat of a mystery to us, but we were told that he came from a pretty bad situation. You'd never know that from his demeanor. He's the sweetest real-life teddy bear you'll ever meet! And he instantly fit right in with Biscuit-the-pug and our three kitty-cats. Words cannot express how gentle and loving he is. It breaks my heart that there are so many animals of similar docility that get taken to the shelter. I don't like to think about that too much, but I felt that I must mention it.
Maybe someone out there looking for a furbaby will remember Churro's happy ending and decide to rescue.
Both pups went absolutely NUTS over these Peanut-Honey Pupcakes. I've never seen them so excited! And I have to admit- they smelled pretty darn good fresh from the oven. I used natural peanut butter (no sugar, low sodium) and some good quality local honey. To make absolutely sure no one mistook these for people food, I added a peanut butter dog biscuit to the tops before baking.
Yield: 12 regular size puppy cupcakes, or 24 bite-size. [click for printable version]
Adapted from Stacia Osborn's recipe on Just a Pinch
Note: This treat should not be used as a replacement for meals.
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (no sugar added, low or no sodium)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil
12 small peanut butter dog biscuits for regular size cakes, or 24 for minis
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended. Spoon the batter into cupcake papers, about 3/4 full.
- Gently place a dog biscuit in the center of each filled cup - don't press in! Just let it sit on top.
- Bake 18-20 minutes for standard size pupcakes, 10-12 minutes for minis. Let the cakes cool in the pan.
- Remove cupcake liner before giving to your pup.
|Happy Pugday Churry!|